AYSO EXTRA is a soccer program geared toward providing an affordable and competitive soccer experience aimed at developing players for high school and/or silver level club competition. EXTRA is designed to provide a more challenging level of play for those players who possess the appropriate interest, skills and abilities and to enhance each player's experience and individual growth through the game of soccer while retaining the spirit and organization of AYSO.
Our local EXTRA program is considered a “Side-by-Side” program, meaning that if you participate in EXTRA, you may not play on an AYSO recreational team at the same time. Our EXTRA program is administered at the AREA level with a gaming circuit that includes AYSO AREA’s K, L and Q. (Huntington Beach to San Clemente).
The benefits of the Extra program include:
- Advanced competition of play amongst teams in Orange County
- Lower cost compared to Club programs ( Registration fees include referee fees)
- Coaching certification equivalent to Club
- Fall and Spring season of play
- Coaching and team continuity
- Tournaments, camps, and clinics
- Local neighborhood/community field use
AYSO EXTRA Details:
- Teams formed through a tryout process geared toward the top 15% - 20% of players within a single year age bracket.
- Age Levels U9 through U14 in Region 630
- Player Ages 9 -13 based on their age as of July 31 for subsequent Fall season of play;
- Example: Someone age 10 as of July 31st would qualify for a U11 team for upcoming Fall season.
- Open tryouts are conducted following conclusion of AYSO Spring soccer season with dates, times, location posted on the AYSO Region 630 website.
- Interested players should register for Fall AYSO season as normal. If selected they will automatically be transferred from the recreational program into the EXTRA program.
- Beginning Fall 2010 players cannot participate on both AYSO Extra and Club teams.
- AYSO EXTRA team coaches are selected by the AYSO EXTRA Coach Selection Committee on the basis of evaluations of candidate coaches during practices and games.
- All selected coaches will have achieved at a minimum AYSO Intermediate coach certification for U10 and U11 teams, and Advanced coach certification for U12, U13, and U14 teams.
Focus On Player Development:
- AYSO EXTRA soccer program focuses on player development through training with comparably skilled players and competitive matches against neighboring AYSO Region teams.
- Optional soccer camp(s), player and goal keeper skills training are offered.
- Many teams participate in AYSO and/or Club tournaments.
- Program targets providing around 12 competitive games per Fall season with understanding that ball touches under pressure is the best ‘classroom’ for player development.
A Family Friendly Program
- Players from neighborhood schools
- Local practice fields within Region 630
- 85% attendance requirement allowing for balance between family, health, school, and religious priorities
- Affordable soccer program at a fraction of the cost of comparable club programs
- EXTRA players are eligible to sign up and play Spring AYSO soccer.
- Games can be on Saturdays and Sundays
- Half of a teams’ games will be home and half in neighboring communities.
In the case of questions, please contact the Region 630 AYSO Extra Coordinator, Ed Berecz, at firstname.lastname@example.org